TINY PRICKS PROJECT is about paying attention, witnessing, and recording in thread. The project aims to counterbalance 45’s statements and the impermanence of social media by using textiles – symbolic of warmth, comfort, craft, civility, care, and shared history. Help us reach our goal of creating 2,020 Tiny Pricks pieces by 2020!
You can make a Tiny Prick too (please do!)
1. Pick a quote. We recommend going to the current "Presidential" Twitter as a source for good quotes.
2. Pick a textile. Diana likes to use vintage textiles inherited from her grandparents. We also have vintage textiles available at the Lingua Franca store on Bleecker Street.
3. Map out your quote. Diana recommends using washable transfer markers, but you can also mark up your textile with a pencil or pen.
4. Pick your thread color. Each piece of embroidery floss is generally made up of 6 strands of thread, we recommend using just 2-4 strands for your piece.
5. Get started! Do not worry about the back. If the textile is delicate, use an embroidery hoop to hold the textile straight and firm.CONGRATUATIONS! You're done! Now what? Please email a photo of your piece to email@example.com. You may drop your piece at Lingua Franca in person during store hours until Sept. 30th or follow the mailing instructions on the Tiny Pricks Project website.
For more information about making your own Tiny Prick, please view the submission guide.